August 22, 2010

Lemon Blackberry Cupcakes

Baking has always been a passion of mine, and picking wild blackberries along the dam of my grandparents' lake is a very fond childhood memory. I had been contemplating on how to make a blackberry lemon cupcake for quite some time. The moist-ness of lemon cake just seemed like it would perfectly complement the slight bitter tangy-ness of blackberries. After some thinking and trying to taste things in my mind, so to speak, I decided on this recipe. They turned out simply amazing (even though the icing was very thin). We decided to put the icing inside the cupcakes rather than on top. The only thing that may have made this better is by having some sort of real whipped cream on top. Not an icing, but just straight up Starbucks style cream.




And now the recipe :


Cake  Mix one box of Duncan Hines lemon cake mix with 4 eggs, 1 cup of buttermilk, and the amount of oil called for on the box. (This is my go-to recipe for any cake when I don't have time to make it from scratch.)


Icing  I started with one jar of Duncan Hines cream cheese icing. I then beat in two pints of blackberries. This seemed a little thin for me, so I added about 1/4 block of cream cheese and some powdered sugar.


Stuffing  After the cupcakes had completely cooled, I carefully cut a whole in the center of the cupcakes and spooned in as much icing as would fit.


While these were delicious as-is, like I said, it would have been even better with some real whipped cream on top. This would also hide the mess on top. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. how do you get your cupcakes to puff up on top? mine always fall over the edge or are flat.

    ReplyDelete