April 12, 2011

DIY Wedding Bouquets

So, my wedding bouquet post is going to be earlier than planned, not that anyone will complain. I decided to visit my mom a little earlier than expected, and as I sit in the silence, I thought it would be a great time to show you guys the end result. I wish I would have thought to take pictures step by step of doing these, but, I did them months ago and there's no going back now! Here's my bridesmaid's, which there are four.




Pardon the basement in the background. :) So, with the wedding being in early September, I couldn't decide whether it should be a summer or fall wedding? I decided to go with a little of both and use sunflowers, but to pair them with a darker autumn shade of purple and ivory. (The reception will be lighter and more summery with sunflower, lemon, and lime decorations.) I got really excited when my fiancee decided to let me do purple, since the church is also decorated in purple and gold! Cheers for being able to match the venue!

For the flowergirl, I decided against the traditional little girl throwing flower down the aisle, and to give her a "big girl" bouquet, which I hope she will be as excited about as me! And here it is!



I used an ivory ribbon that has a small swirl pattern in it. Unfortunately, it doesn't show up in the pictures. I then used the same flowers as the bridesmaids, but with slightly smaller sunflowers so that they look proportionate to her tiny frame. And for some extra sparkle, I added a row of pearl and some rhinestones down the back to "tie" it all together. (I hope that wasn't too lame...)

Now, I will explain how I did these. Its much easier than it looks and I think that with a little help from the flower girls at the craft store, anyone (and I mean anyone!) can put these little babies together. Now, since my dress is more traditional (You'll have to wait until after the wedding to see those pictures!), I decided to use flowers with simple shapes and colors, rather than a more complex flower with more colors, like hydrangeas. Yes, hydrangeas are beautiful and can work with most weddings, but they were a little too bulky for what I was looking for. I chose the summer staple of the country wild flower, the sunflower, and then found some smaller purple and ivory flower that complimented it. I also found some ribbon to match the girls' dresses and an ivory ribbon for myself and the flower girl. I also used a very thin sheer green ribbon around the very top of the bouquets (I'm not sure its visible in the pictures) with a small pearl and rhinestone design, just for a small surprising detail. The green will also help tie in the reception and the men's bout's.

So, I get home and go...."Now what?" So, I started arranging them in my hand like you would when picking wildflowers and couldn't find anything that seemed appealing. I stopped myself and thought about which flowers would be the hardest to put together. The sunflowers to me seemed to be most difficult, since they were the largest. I took four of them and grouped them together, hot gluing them in the center. Then, I bent the stems until they seemed to be in the right position. (Thank heavens for wire in silk flowers!) Then, I slowly started putting in the other flowers to fill in the gaps, without too many purple or ivory flowers in one hole. I also hotglued those in, and decided to worry about the messy stems later.

I wanted to get some more greenery into the bouquet, so I found some long grass and then wanted to loop it through the bouquets, like one I had found online and fell in love with! I cut three pieces of grass off of the main stem and glued them together at one end, and then staggered them to all be different heights when they were folded over. And, guess how I put them in? Hotglue! I just found a place that wasn't very noticable, and glued it to a stem of one of the flowers. All in all, it wasn't very difficult, but a bit time consuming.

I then tightly wrapped each of the stem in the ribbon after I had tried to smooth the stems together. They're still a little bumpy, but with the girls holding them, it won't be super noticable and I'm not too worried about it. And now, drumroll please........is my bouquet!



Its only slightly bigger than the others, because I didn't want to distract from my dress very much by having a giant cluster of flowers in front of me. The dress cost more than the flowers, so I want people to be able to see it, silly! After all of the supplies, lots of hotglue burns, and many hours, all of the supplies for the bouquets and all of the bouts (including those for fathers, mothers, grandparents, and ushers!) was around $100.

How you ask? By catching these flowers on sale almost a whole YEAR in advance. As soon as last fall's flowers went on sale at the craft store, I bought all they had left in stock of what I needed for 80% to 90% off and used some coupons that I had gotten in the mail.

I hope this helps some frugal DIY brides, and I also hope to have some more posts up this week while I can have internet at my disposal. :) Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment