July 20, 2011

Hot! Hot! Hot!

This weather is just absolutely miserable. It doesn't matter what part of the US that you are in; it's miserable everywhere. I got into my car today to go to the laundromat, after a long morning/early afternoon of packing and cleaning. The temperature read 100 degrees!! And that's without the heat index! The radio was reporting heat indexes around 115 degrees and up in the Chicago area. I don't ever remember a summer this hot and miserable. Our AC is constantly running to keep our apartment at a bearable 75 to 80, which is still too hot for my liking.

This hot weather reminded me of a fun little snack that I used to eat as a kid and I then later made for my brother and sister when I would babysit. I'm sure plenty of you readers have had these homemade popsicles, too!

For a fun quick way to cool off in the summer months, mix up some kool-aid, juice, or lemonade and pour it into ice cube trays. You could even use muffin tins for bigger Popsicles! Place them in the freezer and wait for them to freeze almost solid. Then, stick a toothpick or Popsicle stick into the center and let them finish freezing! And done! How easy and refreshing!

I am also a big fan of frozen chocolate covered bananas! Unpeel the bananas and place them in the freezer on wax paper to slightly harden. Then put a popsicle stick in one end of the banana and dip in melted chocolate. Then place them back on the wax paper to finish freezing.

Sure the sugar in the kool-aid and the chocolate on the bananas ruins any health value, but when it's hot, it's hot.

Be sure to drink lots of water in this weather, even if you aren't outside much. It doesn't take much to become dehydrated or to suffer from heat exhaustion.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!!!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment