September 30, 2011

Perfect Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Sweet potatoes are one of those vegetables that I want to love; but, sadly, they have to be cooked just right for me to eat them. I don't like them candied, or smashes, or baked, or in a casserole. But, I do like them as fries and mashed...sometimes. They have to have that perfect combination of sweet, creamy, and sweet potato-ey. 

I picked up a few from the store a few days ago, wanting to try and find (yet again) the perfect mashed sweet potato recipe. I searched all over the internet and couldn't find anything that seemed to jump out at me. Then, enter the iPhone. I have had an app called Food Gawkr (without the "e") for quite some time and I have tried a few recipes that I have found there without disappointment. They are all wonderful! The site managers gather the best recipes found on the web from various blogs.

The recipe I came across sounded so rich and creamy that I had to try it. (Ironically enough, it's a traditional Indian dessert.) The recipe came from T and Teacake with a few of my own modifications:

Mashed Sweet Potatoes
  • about 1 pound of sweet potatoes (I used the two large ones that I had on hand)
  • 4 cups of milk
  • 1 cup of sugar
  1. Peel and slice the potatoes.
  2. Put them in a large pot with the milk and cook on low to medium-low heat until the potatoes are soft.
  3. Remove them from the heat, spoon out the potatoes, and puree them (with a blender, food processer, mixer, etc) until they are creamy. Slowly add enough milk until they are the desired consistency, and the cup of sugar.
  4. Throw out the remainder of the milk that you didn't use, place the mashed potatoes back into the pot, and place them back on the stove to thicken a little more.
  5. And you're done! How easy is that?

T and Teacake suggests adding carmalized almonds, which I'm sure is amazing, but I didn't have any almonds on hand. These would also be good with some candied bacon, in my opinion. But, bacon has never ruined anything, so it'd be worth a shot!

These potatoes were a hit with Adam and I, both. I was so surprised that I have finally found a sweet potato recipe that I could eat daily! (Especially, if bacon got involved.) I prepared these potatoes with brats (that I cooked in the oven in beer, half an onion, and a few tablespoons of apple butter), and some BBQ baked beans. They added a nice creamy addition to the meal! 

1 comment:

  1. Hiya Breanna!

    I am glad you like the recipe!
    Frankly, the way you served it makes more sense than the dessert version. ;)

    And there is just one word for candied bacon: Heaven!

    Cheers,
    Tobias

    ReplyDelete